RE: Backing up my Cygwin installation

  That'll work more-or-less fine, although I can think of a couple of other
places where cygwin keeps persistent state that you'd probably want to
backup at the same time:

1) The download directory where the package setup utility stores its records
of what's where and all its downloaded packages.

2) The cygwin registry entries under HKCU/Software/Cygnus Solutions/Cygwin
and HKLM/......etc.....

  If you were to backup a consistent set of those, a simple restore should
get everything back exactly how it was.

    cheers,
      DaveK