C COM objects?

I admit to know almost nothing about COM objects, but I have been tasked
to find out if they can be built from code that uses cygwin1.dll services.

Searching for Cygwin and COM on the web, and in the archives, is difficult
for the obvious .com reason.

What I think I do know is that C++ COM objects are probably out because of
name mangling and vtable issues.  I am still unclear about whether the
libs that implement COM use msvcrt*.dll.  I assume if that is true, then
all COM objects are out because of the newlib conflict.

Any pointers to C COM object examples or information about using Cygwin
based code in them would be *greatly* appreciated.  If you feel this
subject is too far OT, then please feel free to ignore my Reply-To header
and send me personal email.  Thanks.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer