Re: Can cygwin be configured to always use mixed path output types?

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Cohen Dan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a project that requires me to use both cygwin and MKS.. MKS
> primarily uses paths like "c:/temp" and cygwin has the path
> "/cygdrive/c/temp".  I know I can use cygpath (cygpath -m
> /cygdrive/c/temp) to convert the cygwin path to "c:/temp" but that
> solution will be very time consuming to implement in the very large
> application I need to convert. I was wondering if there was a way to
> configure cygwin to work with the mixed path mode instead of using
> cygpath in my scripts.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Dan

FWIW, Cygwin's file manipulation routines will understand the regular
Win32-style paths (make sure to quote the backslashes in your shell).
Programs that don't attempt to manipulate the paths themselves should work
just fine with Windows paths.  I believe (though I'm not as sure of it)
that a 'single-letter-followed-by-a-colon-followed-by-a-slash' pattern is
also used to indicate a Windows path and the DLL acts accordingly (i.e.,
mixed mode should also work).  If you want to make sure, look in the
latest version of winsup/cygwin/path.cc.

Of course, if some program does attempt to process the path itself (e.g.,
walk through directories, etc), all bets are off.  Also note that you will
lose the benefit of Cygwin mounts and symlinks if you stick to Windows
paths.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/