RE: Fix for sshd service start failure problem

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Hughes, Bill wrote:

> Sent: 24 January 2004 21:14 From: Christopher Faylor
> > On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 03:57:53PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> ..snip..
> >> Nice.  This won't work for custom mirrors or hand-entered URLs, however
> >> (and yes, they're unsupported).
> >
> > Uh, correct.  The program won't go onto all of the machines in the world
> > who have ever run setup.exe and update things on their local disk nor
> > will it update people's home run mirrors.  It is just a cron job running
> > on sources.redhat.com, updating local files.
> That's just lack of ambition. ;-)
>
> >> Oh, and would it be possible to eventually store the date of the last
> >> mirror update (at a guess, the setup.bz2 timestamp?)
> >
> > No, it's not the setup.bz2 timestamp.
> >
> >> in the mirrors.txt file?
> >
> > No.  The mirrors.txt file is not a generated file.  If you are
> > ambitious, I guess you could check the update time of the mirrors.lst
> > file which is what setup.exe uses, AFAIK.  The mirror state is in
> > mirrors.state but it's just a boolean value per mirror.  It's no more
> > useful than the mirrors.lst file, AFAICT.
> >
> >> I'm thinking of having setup display the last-update date and the ping
> >> information for each mirror,
> >
> > The only information available is whether the mirror is current or not.
> > All of the mirrors are pinged at roughly the same time.
>
> Surely it doesn't matter when the mirror was updated - if a group of mirrors
> is up to date it doesn't matter which one was updated first (or last).
> I can understand the desire for ping info but shall we say I'm not convinced
> that the ping data from sources.redhat.com is going to be applicable to
> another site - say someone in Europe.
> To paraphrase cgf, we wouldn't want to go to every machine and run ping
> stats for them...
> You could, if you wanted, modify setup.exe to generate ping information for
> every up to date server and use that for the convenience of the user. If you
> wanted - or make the option available.
> That wasn't a feature request btw, or even a suggestion - just an
> observation. Hmmm, it might be useful but I suspect it's a WIBNI and won't
> make it to anybody's priority list.

FWIW, that's actually what I was thinking of doing, but I was hoping to
reuse the last-update info (which won't change with the user's
geographical position).  I *could* try to get the timestamp on one of the
files on the mirror as part of the ping...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu