Re: simple newbie init question

On Jan 21 16:39, Edward W. Rouse wrote:
> This is the result of 'inetd -d', edited for brevity.
>
> ADD : talk proto=udp, wait=1, user=root builtin=0
> server=/usr/sbin/in.talkd
> registered /usr/sbin/in.talkd on 19
> ADD : ntalk proto=udp, wait=1, user=root builtin=0
> server=/usr/sbin/in.talkd
> registered /usr/sbin/in.talkd on 20
> ADD : cvspserver proto=tcp, wait=0, user=root builtin=0
> server=/usr/bin/cvs
> FREE: cvspserver proto=tcp, wait=0, user=root builtin=0
> server=/usr/bin/cvs
>
> For some reason it immediately frees the cvspserver after adding it. I
> also find the register lines disconcerting. I know that on a normal
> Linux system, inetd has port info in /etc/services, which is missing
> from the cygwin install. I was assuming that it was getting that info
> from somewhere else. I guess I shouldn't assume. Do I need to add
> /etc/services?

Authoritative answer: No.

For the records:

The /etc/services symlink is just a convenience for the user.  If you
create a file in /etc instead, it won't be used by the OS.  Never.

Cygwin is using Winsock.  Winsock uses the services file in
${SYSTEMROOT}/system32/drivers/etc on NT systems and in ${windir}
on 9x systems.

Open the *correct* services file, add the cvspserver line and you're
done.  Be careful on 9x systems to use the very same layout as in any
other line, otherwise the system might misbehave.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.