Re: CVS instructions

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 07:19:00PM -0200, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 06:04:14PM -0200, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>> >A cvs update from src/ also downloads many other modules (I
>> >guess all from
>> >http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/?cvsroot=src),
>> >not just the changes from a winsup checkout:
>> >
>> >U djunpack.bat
>> >U bfd/COPYING
>> >U bfd/ChangeLog
>> >
>> >Am I missing something obvious from the instructions ?
>>
>> It depends on what instructions you're talking about.  You must have
>> specified the '-d' option when you performed your 'cvs update', either
>> on the command line ('cvs update -d') or in .cvsrc ('update -d').
>>
>> Yes, this would pull in everything in the 'src' directory --
>> by design.
>
>I had update -d -P in .cvsrc.
>
>Without -d it still downloads djunpack.bat.
>
>I thought -d was recommended, so any directories added to
>modules you have checked from repositories are created when you
>do an update. Will a cvs update take care of them for Cygwin ?

Perhaps you can infer how cvs works here.  It doesn't store the fact
that you only wanted the "winsup" module anywhere on your local drive.
When you check out the winsup module, you get a bunch of directories and
files.  cvs loses state after that.  If you type 'cvs update -d' then
cvs will notice that you apparently have a bunch of directories missing
and fill in the missing pieces.  If you type 'cvs update' then cvs, as
documented, won't do anything with directories.

Something like 'cvs update -l; cvs update -d */.', or some variation
thereof may do what you want.  Or you could just do a 'cvs co winsup' to
make sure that you get any new directory -- assuming that someone
remembers to update the winsup module description appropriately.