Re: MS offers "Services For Unix" free of charge

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:10:57PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Robb, Sam wrote:
>
> > > With carrier pigeon 1.0, the beak is so small you have to
> > > dis-assemble/re-assemble the IP packets.
> > >
> > > Carrier pigeon 2.0 has a bigger beak and can hold a full packet.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately the evolutionary process is goin slow.  Maybe within a
> > > couple of millenium.
> > >
> > > Have you thought about using IP-over-turkey instead?
> > >
> > > It is slower and not very sexy, but with the bigger beak, you can get
> > > better bandwidth.
> > >
> > > Greg
> >
> > We've been using IP-over-pelican.  No problems with packet
> > size, excellent bandwidth, and it's eliminated my need for
> > a weekly trip to the local sushi bar.
> >
> > -Samrobb
>
> Hmm, I'd've thought you'd put the fish to good use -- IP-over-tuna should
> eliminate the need for fiber optic cables from the US to Europe...
> 	Igor
> P.S. I sure hope Joshua Daniel Franklin is monitoring this thread.

It's already on the list :

<http://iocc.com/~joshua/cygwin.html>

Kidding aside, however, I thought maybe the MS-SFU versions of some GNU
utils might have useful patches, which they have to release to comply
with the GPL. I downloaded the bash source from
<http://www.interopsystems.com/tools/warehouse.htm>
but it appears to be vanilla bash (except it includes pre-configured
Makefiles and a couple header diffs). Of course, Cygwin bash is vanilla
also. gcc might be much more interesting.