sendmsg/recvmsg file descriptor passing

I am unable to get sendmsg and recvmsg to successfully pass open file
descriptors between processes. I am using the Stevens APUE sample as a template,
the 4.3BSD version, since that matches the msghdr struct in cygwin/socket.h. I
notice a bunch of postings in the archive indicating (a) that file descriptor
passing was not supported at one time, and (b) that it may have been
subsequently added - I can't tell from the threads.

What is the current status of this? If implemented, does it have any caveats or
conditions which differ from the BSD implementation? If not implemented for the
passing of open file descriptors, is there an alternative approach (for two
cygwin processes)?

tia,
 - davidr