Re: How to access soundcard in cygwin

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, kaiduan xie wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I am going to port a Linux program that read/write the
> soundcard with OSS driver to Cygwin. Can anyone tell
> me if it is possible to use the OSS API as in Linux to
> read/write the soundcard?

Depends on what the OSS API does.  AFAIK, nobody released an OSS (whatever
that is) library for Cygwin, so I guess the answer is "no".  Whether it's
possible to port the OSS library to Cygwin remains to be seen...  FWIW,
/dev/dsp *is* partially implemented in Cygwin.

> If not, how to do that in Cygwin? Thanks.

How to do what?  Access the soundcard?  Try 'cat a.wav > /dev/dsp' to
write to the soundcard.  AFAICS in the code, the 'read()' method is
dummied out, so I guess it's not possible to read from the soundcard
(i.e., record from the microphone).  This guess is confirmed by
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-07/msg00628.html>.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.

You're welcome to try to add the recording (i.e., reading) support to
fhandler_dsp.cc in the Cygwin sources.  There was some discussion on
cygwin-patches that may point you in the right direction (notably
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2002-q3/msg00112.html>).

HTH,
	Igor
--