Re: Why 2 DLL names?

Roy Clemmons wrote:
> libxxxxxx.dll.a is the import library
> cygxxxxxx-1.dll is the dll
>
> Read
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dll.html
> for a more complete explanation.Thanks for the reply. Unless I missed
> it, I still don't understand why the shared lib was created a "cyg"
> prefix and a -1 suffix.

"cyg" to identify it as a Cygwin-using DLL, to avoid possible conflicts with
a native-Windows version.

"-1" to allow for ABI versioning. See the libtool docs, "-version-info"
option.

> But, be that as it may, can I rename the dll
> to be the correct name?Roy

No. For 2 reasons:

1) You cannot rename DLLs (and still expect them to work).

2) The name is already correct. It may not be what you were expecting, but
it is correct.

Max.