kill(pid, 0) issue

Hi all,

My application creates additional process using fork() function. Created child process listens on a socket and exits when it receives anything. The main process checks the child PID using kill(pid, 0) with child PID as a parameter. Even when the child has exited this function call returns 0. When I have supplied any PID which hasn't ever existed it's fine and kill(non-existentPID, 0) returns -1.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

I'm using Cygwin 1.5.5 version(DLL version).

Regards,

MacNowak

P.S. For now I'm using kill(pid, SIGCONT) as a workaround.