Re: 1.5.5-1: problem with read() on Athlon MP in WinXP

Please don't include plain text email addresses in the body of messages.
It is food for spam harvesters.  Thanks.

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Jeff Gilchrist wrote:
> Brian Ford wrote:
> >It sounds like you may have two problems here, but this may be the first
> >one:
> >
> >http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-textbinary.html
> >
> Well don't I feel like a newbie.  That was the problem.  I was reading in
> binary data and forgot to add the O_BINARY flag to open().  As soon as I did
> that, it worked fine on my Athlon system.
>
> Not sure why it did work on the other two machines but I guess that was just
> a fluke. :)  I posted the test.c as the minimal amount of code out of a
> larger program that I had written where I was having the problems.  The same
> code that doesn't work under cygwin on my Athlon was running fine under
> Linux on the same Althlon and Solaris on a Sparc too so I never suspected
> something simple as leaving out a O_BINARY.
>
> Since my code did work fine under Linux and Solaris, is this an artifact of
> cygwin having the option to treat files in "DOS" or "Unix" format by
> default?  Or is this an actual bug in how cygwin handles binary data if the
> "BINARY" flag isn't set?  I converted my code to use fopen()/fread() instead
> and still had the same problem if I didn't speciy the "b" flag.

Bingo!

Cygwin doesn't know the difference between text and binary data.  It uses
one of open(O_BINARY), CYGWIN=[no]binmode, and "mount -b" to determine how
to treat a file.

Check the output of mount on the systems with differing behavior.  I'd bet
you selected a default mode of UNIX on the working systems and DOS on the
Athlon.

> Thanks, this solves my problem and your answer is much appreciated.

You're welcome.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer