Re: Problems with setup handling of gcc-core & gcc-testsuite

Brian Ford wrote:

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, David A. Cobb wrote:

I couldn't find this in the archives, but the two packages gcc-core &
gcc-testsuite, which are distinguished by being source-only,
never get registered as "installed."  Setup has now re-installed them
about 6 times.  I know, I don't need to select them; however,
I figured there was some likelihood they weren't correctly installed the
previous time.

They get selected automatically if one just chooses all->install as I
usually do.

It is an outstanding bug that has been reported several times in various
guises.  See this thread for one of them:

AFAIK, no one seems to care enough to fix it.

Well, I read that. It doesn't sound like the same thing.

The first time I saw it, I explicitly selected "Install" the gcc-core. However, it keeps showing up as something to be installed. It still shows with the "new or omitted" packages view. My hypothesis is that, because it is a source-only package, setup never records it in INSTALLED.DB (?).
Hey, I can probably edit the database myself - I'm pretty sure it's text. But that wouldn't solve the perceived problem.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.