Re: how do I convince MySQL AB to get MySQL to build out of the boxon Cygwin?

Terrence Brannon wrote:

> <response>
> Windows is natively supported platform. Why do you need to run MySQL
> under Cygwin?
> </response>

I can sort of understand their reluctance in this regard.

If *you*, as a volunteer, were to do the port, and contribute the
patches back to them, I'm sure Monty or one of the senior developers
there would be happy to at least look at them.

But since their revenue model is based on commercial support of MySQL,
they understandably aren't very interested in cygwin support.

Now I'm sure a lesser project would be just as useful: compiling the
mysql *client* under cygwin (and perhaps building knowledge of cygwin
mounts into the server itself while otherwise building it as a native
program).  This would meet most of your needs without all the
complications of testing the entire database on top of cygwin..