RE: Installation from locally stored packages

Sorry, on my previous post I forgot to put something positive.
One way around the directory depth problem is to Zip all the files - this will also shrink the size down a bit.
Yes, I have remembered that the OP wants to do the download on a LINUX machine - Zip programs are available under LINUX as well as under Windows (and BeOS as well).
Kevin.