Re: Installation problem with xfree86-prog

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, David A. Cobb wrote:

I know that problems with Xfree86-cygwin have a list of their own, but I
think this may be a packaging problem or something super-weird about my
Cygwin installation.

Lately, XFree86-prog is showing up among the packages to be updated. If
I allow setup to attempt this, every attempt locks up trying to install
a file <file://./usr/X11R6/include/X11/ap_keysym.h>. The setup control

^^^^^^^^
This is a packaging error. Should be "file://usr/X11R6/include/X11/ap_keysym.h".
Which mirror are you using? Which version of XFree86-prog are you trying
to install? Which version of setup.exe?

Um, my error - "//." is a WindozIsm for making a URI to a "file on this machine." The Setup display is what you said.

Anyway, I had not looked deeply enough. Inside /usr/X11R6/include/X11/ was an "X11.lnk" I could never extract where the shortcut was pointing, but I suspect it looped back to its own parent. In addition, the damn thing has an ACL that I couldn't delete or modify even after donning my Administrator cape and sacrificing the customary goat. I wound up renaming the parent directory (original X11) and re-creating the legitimate part of the directory tree. Then Setup ran fine with the latest (x.y.z-12) version of X86Free-prog.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.