RE: 1.5.5-1 command substitution hangs (0% cpu) on XP

I'm sorry I posted this problem a second time (under this new name) ... I
thought my first attempt was too shotty and was probably misnamed.  I was
trying to continue the discussion that I had found that most closely matched
(blah, blah).

So I thought about trying an older version of cygwin to see if that would
cure what ails (should be ale's as in free beer in my case) me, but I
couldn't find snap shots of an older release (maybe 1.3.22-1).  Is there a
way to get this or would this not be helpful.

Really, if anybody has any hints or things for me to try it would be very
greatly appreciated.  It seems so strange that I would be the only one
having this problem even after the new version of bash.

Thanks again,
Geoff