Re: cygwin deadlocks due to broken select() when writing to pipes

Hi Chris,

Actually I think I did mention I was running rsync hourly in a cron job,
that's all I've been mentioning as far as I know.

But anyway, this is 100% repeatable on my machine over the course of a day;
try setting up a cronjob to run every hour that rsync's a gig or so of files
over the intranet somewhere. Over the course of the day 1 in 4 of those
cronjobs will still be hanging around doing nothing (cpu usage 0).

The problem I have is that, since the Sep. 19th(?) version, when I log out
or shutdown WinXP, these idling tasks are no longer forcibly killed (because
they are idling deep in cygwin's lib code I suspect), but they used to be
killed just fine with the version of cygwin before the 19th.

Anyway, Right now I am resolved to having to leave my machine shutting down
for hours on end each night  :-( not a good solution really especially as I
pay the electricity bills around here... )

Regards

Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com

"Christopher Faylor" <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> wrote in