This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: ash does not understand '~'
- From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:28:23 +0200
- Subject: Re: ash does not understand '~'
- References: <JGEMLHPCGMNLEIGOCPMGCEBCIGAA.Ralf.Habacker@freenet.de>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 12:19:36PM +0200, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> the following shell script does not work at least with ash-20031007-1
> although I don't see any reason why this should not be a valid syntax. If
> you use
The reason is, '~' is an extension to the bourne shell syntax, first
defined in csh or tcsh, AFAIK. ash is a pure bourne shell with next
to no extensions. Using '~' in a shell script is non-portable.
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Developer mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Red Hat, Inc.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html