Re: Problems with .exe files

Kris Thielemans wrote:

Hi

Since upgrading cygwin a few days ago, I can no longer cp .exe files if I don't use the .exe suffix. I can reproduce this as follows:

$ mkdir a
$ touch t.exe
$ cp t a
cp: `t' and `a/t' are the same file
$ cp t somenonexistingfilename
cp: 't' and 'somenonexistingfilename' are the same file

I also have a problem with rm (and maybe others)

$ rm t
rm: cannot unlink `t': No such file or directory

Note that as soon as I add the .exe suffix, everthing works fine $ cp t.exe a

Why would you think that you can cp t as just "t" but you'd have to touch "t.exe"? The real name of the the file is t.exe, for touch, cp, rm, etc. The only time that just "t" suffices is for exec.

--
Do witches run spell checkers?