Re: setup hangs during postinstall

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 07:24:53PM +0100, Steve Fairbairn wrote:
> >As Brian has noted, Executing the binary with '< /dev/null' stops the
> >hanging, but also executing it without capturing the output to a variable
> >also stops the hanging.
>
> I would guess that something like
>
> foo=`bar`
>
> is what is causing the problem because this uses a pipe for
> communication.  In a shell that is run from setup.exe, it is possible
> that stdin is not opened at all and stdout is the pipe in question.
> Maybe this is somehow confusing the SHF* function.

Yes.  I thought this had always been clear.

Since this only happens in bash, and not in sh, I doubt that is the
problem.  Are we looking at some kind of weird bash bug here?  We have
almost eliminated most of Cygwin since MINGW SHLWAPI executables exhibit
the problem.

> So, the question is does something like this also hang?
>
> #!/bin/bash
> exec 0<&- 1>&-
> cygpath -S | cat
>
> when invoked from the command line?  Or possibly via "Run"?

Not from within a setup postinstall script, so the others are probably not
meaningfull.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer