Re: merging mingw and cygwin

Edward Peschko wrote:

msys != mingw. mingw doesn't need msys. Cygwin provides a more complete
building and testing environment than does msys.

... and I was told point blank by the mingw mailing list not to use them.

cygwin is a nice user friendly package. I won't speak for mingw because
I have a personal bias.

.. so why not bring the nice user friendly experience of cygwin to mingw and let it
piggy back off of cygwin's work?

I guess you replied yourself, in the last paragraph...

I know nothing of MingW except what I read on this mailing list and their website, but judging fast (and, so, probably wrong), I'd say that the very fact that they want to avoid Cygwin like plague (and the choice of the word is intentional) *may* have something to with "not bringing cygwin user-friendliness to mingw", isn't it?

Lapo, trying not to feed (too much) wood to this MVCFW (Mingw Versus Cygwin Flame War ;-)

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)