cygwin1.dll missing getreent and fopen

I have just tried to install cygwin, using the setup.exe downloaded from
cygwin.com, and installing from a local directory (rsync'ed from
sources.redhat.com last night) and having installed all the packages,
come to the postinstall stage and been bombarded with messages saying
"The procedure entry point __fopen64 couldn not be located in the dynamic
link library cygwin1.dll" or "The procedure entry point __getreent couldn
not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll"

This occurs when 'bash' 'sed', 'basename' or 'uname' (and probably
others) are executed. I have also recieved an "unable to locate dll" for
cygpcre.dll from 'grep.exe'

cygwin1.dll is installed in /bin, is this the right location or should it
be in %SYSTEMROOT%?

I am running Win2000 Pro SP4.

Is it actually possible someone has oopsed in the dll code tree and
removed these rather crucial functions? Or have have I got a corrupt dll
somehow?

If I can aquire a working copy of the dll, how can I cause the
post-install steps to be executed without re-doing the whole install?

I could really use some help here, otherwise I may be condemned to
implement my computer science project in visual basic...

Thanks in advance,

Misha Gale
--
  Misha Gale