Re: Installed 1.5.5, need to back off to 1.3.22

At 08:30 PM 10/9/2003, Karr, David you wrote:
>I have version 1.3.22 installed on another box.  On a new box, I decided
>to go for broke and install 1.5.5.  Unfortunately, as others have
>described, Xemacs doesn't work in this Cygwin version.  I need to
>somehow uninstall what I have and install version 1.3.22.  I've perused
>the FAQ and install information, and did some searches on the mailing
>list archives, but I don't see how to do this.  I did notice information
>on how to "uninstall" cygwin, by manually deleting directories and
>registry entries, but I didn't see how I can install an older version.

Simply rerun setup, point it at a mirror or your local package directory
with cygwin 1.3.22, and click on the second column in the package listing
until 1.3.22 comes up.  Voila!  You're ready to install 1.3.22 now.  Be
aware that you'll need to "downgrade" any packages that require 1.5.x in
order for 1.3.22 to work without complaint for all applications.  Note, I'm
not recommending this course of action in any way.  I'm just answering your
question.  Your better, more productive route is to try to figure out a
solution for XEmacs so that it works with 1.5.x.  You may not believe it
but that will be quicker and less headaches overall.  Plus you'll be
helping your fellow XEmacs users who want to use it with Cygwin too!

I'll leave figuring out how to uninstall a package through setup as an
exercise for the user (i.e. if you follow the directions I gave above
for installing a non-default version of a package, it should become
obvious how to uninstall a package as well).

Good luck,

Holliston, MA 01746