Pause after Calling ExitProcess

Greetings,

I have found that some external programs invoked from a shell take a long time to return control to the shell on exit. For example, typing 'hostname<enter>' at the command prompt displays a response within about 1 second, but the prompt does not appear for another 3 seconds (on a 1.6GHz P4). When I run 'strace hostname', I notice that the delay occurs after the statement

2251 1091020 [main] hostname 1084 _pinfo::exit: Calling ExitProcess 0

Similar delays occur for a range of programs, such as shells and editors. The delays can significantly increase compilation times when multiple shell commands are issued from make, to the point that average CPU utilisation is about 50% for programs composed of many small routines.

The delays do not occur for all programs. Small programs such as ps and cat (which appear to be external), and larger programs such as make, are quite snappy.

I have not yet found a way to diagnose what is happening between ExitProcess and the shell prompt. If I try to run 'strace bash' then type 'hostname<enter>', the pause still occurs at the same point, and no extra information is displayed.

There are no obvious causes for the delays. In particular, there is no active virus scanner, and PATH does not include any network shares. I have a Novell client installed, but I am not logged into any servers. I have tried uninstalling Cygwin (including registry entries), but the problem occurs even with a fresh installation.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Milton Woods.