Re: cygwin-1.5.4-1 breaks fetchmail on Win9x (Pierre can you comment?)

At 11:32 AM 10/7/2003 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 09:49:14AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>I tried searching the archives via Google and Cygwin's mailing list
>>>search engine, but came up empty.  Would you be willing to enlighten
>>>me?
>>
>>Actually, I am trying not to have to do the search myself.  I recall
>>that there was a discussion about this with Pierre which caused the
>>change to take place.  It might have been in the cygwin-developers
>>list.

Hmm, I remember investigating what's happening when a Win9X mounts a
file system on NT and there are hard links..

This is what I see on Win98/Me:
- DELETE_ON_CLOSE works if the file is not yet opened.
- If it is opened for writing, CreateFile (DELETE_ON_CLOSE) fails and the
  file is eventually put on the delete queue, at least if it is local.
  Why not if it's remote?
- However if the file is opened for reading, then CreateFile (DELETE_ON_CLOSE)
  succeeds, CloseHandle returns 1, but the file is not deleted.
  That's the case that Mark Ord examined. It's an MS bug, the documentation
  states that CreateFile should fail.

So there is indeed a current problem. Until the next Cygwin release fetchmail
could possibly patch things up by opening the file for writing.

Pierre