Re: missing java headers

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 09:16:58PM -0300, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >While you're at it, I'd (again) suggest splitting it in various parts.
>> >Most people only install C and C++.  The rest takes a lot of space,
>> >mainly Java and Ada.
>>
>> Yes, I was going to suggest that, too.
>
>> This is clearly the right way to do this but it is a lot more
>> work.
>
>Yes, but once you get it set up in the script...
>
>I don't know how Cygwin handles it (maybe I should download
>some source packages - I'll), but the Linux distributions seem
>to just split it without recompiling the whole thing various
>times with --enable-languages=c++ (you don't need to specify
>c), then --enable-languages=c++,java etc.

Oh, yes.  I wouldn't recompile multiple times.  That would take forever.
It is already pretty frustrating to make a change to the source tree,
recompile, and then find twenty minutes later that something is broken
in libjava (one of the last things to compile).

If I was doing this, I'd probably write a filter which detected what was
being installed by java, libstdc++, etc. and then build tar files based
on that.

It would be nice to break out the libstdc++ package as well.

>An example which works and may help Gerrit (I use the resulting
>C and C++ packages) is the 3.3.1 script from Slackware -
>http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-current/testing/source/gcc-3.3.1/gcc.SlackBuild
>
>I guess Cygwin doesn't need a separate C++ package.

I think it does, really.  But, this will probably cause massive
confusion for people who'd previously installed.

cgf