Re: Problems with Cygwin and Procmail..

Billy,

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 05:32:36PM -0400, Billy Huddleston wrote:
> I'm having a problem with Cygwin when using it with procmail..  I've
> written some fairly extensive spam filtering scripts to use on my mail
> server and they work perfectly..  However, I occasionally get these
> error messages and after so many of them, procmail just stops working
> (fortunately, my mail still continues to flow, just doesn't get marked
> with spam headers if it's spam),

How are you driving procmail?  Via fetchmail?  Or, by some other means?
What version of Windows?  What version of procmail (and fetchmail)?

> The error message that comes up is 0xc0000142, and happens with
> procmail.exe, bash.exe and versus other shell commands I use with the
> procmail filters..  I've narrowed it down to a "burst" .. I.E.  when a
> large number of emails comes through then it tends to do this, if the
> emails trickle through, it doesn't..

Are the above error messages displayed in a pop-up dialogs?  Or, are
they output to the procmail log file?  Do you fork a lot in your
procmail recipes?  Or, do you perform most of your filtering inside
procmail itself?

> So.. It's very sporadic as to when it happens. I'm using cygwin dll
> version 1.3.2  I've attempted to upgrade and prcomail totally freaked
> out

FWIW, I run procmail-3.22-7 under cygwin-1.3.22-1 at home and
procmail-3.22-8 under cygwin-1.5.5-1 at work without any problems
whatsoever.  To give you some idea of the volume and "complexity" of
my home setup:

    15K - 20K messages processed per month
    550 line .procmailrc file

> and refused to open directories and write files, it even created a
> directory (I turned logging on and it's suppose to create a directory
> when it doesn't exist) with NO permissions, I can't even access it via
> administrator!!

The above is probably ntsec related.  Note that cygwin-1.3.2 is very
old!  More recent cygwin versions default to ntsec on now.

> Has anyone seen this or know how I can fix this..

Maybe you need to revamp your spam recipes.  I'm able to catch 95+
percent of all spam and viruses sent to me with the following recipes
and bogofilter:

    #
    # File virus messages.
    #

    MYVIRUS=$MAILDIR/virus-$MONTH
    NASTYEXT=(bat|com|exe|hta|pif|scr|shs|vb[se]|ws[fh]|(doc|txt|xls)\.)
    INCLUDERC=$HOME/.procmailrc-virussnag

    #
    # Test messages for spam.
    #

    :0 fw
    | bogofilter -u -e -p

    #
    # File spam messages.
    #

    :0 W:

The .procmailrc-virussnag file is just Dallman Ross's Virus Snaggers:

    http://www.spamless.us/pub/procmail/virussnag.rc

Jason