RE: Cygwin_setup.exe comments...

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Hughes, Bill wrote:

> Sent: 02 October 2003 16:02 From: Igor Pechtchanski
> >On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Linda W. wrote:
>
> ..snip..
>
> > > What's wrong with a resizable
> > > window?  I really don't know -- does it require a Ph.D. to do?  I've
> > > never done windows programming, so I really don't know, but is it really
> > > that difficult?
> >
> > Actually, no, a Ph.D. is apparently not enough (I do have one, and I don't
> > understand the intricacies of the interface enough to make that dialog
> > properly resizeable).  And I *have* done a fair share of Windows (and GUI)
> > programming.  Face it: it's just *not that easy*.  If it were, someone
> > would have implemented it.  It might be a good exercise to actually look
> > at the code instead of useless complaining.  There must be a reason why
> > it's been on the setup TODO list next to forever.
>
> ...snip...
>
> > Another place to check is the setup TODO list and WISHLIST in the README.
> > You can either download the setup source package, or check it out on
> >
> <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/setup/README?rev=2.35&cvsro
> ot=cygwin-apps>
>
> Err, I've just read the README linked above, and as far as I can see a
> resizable window isn't on either the TODO list or the wishlist.

Umm, yes, you're right.  I was absolutely sure it would be on there.  The
only thing I can say is that I mentioned the README as *another* place to
look, the first being the cygwin@ and cygwin-apps@ archives.  I guess
people put things on the TODO list that might be forgotten otherwise, and
there is no chance whatsover that the resizing issue is ever going to be
forgotten until it's fixed. ;-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/