Please Help - Problems installing cygwin...

I just installed cygwin and none of the post-install scripts work after
install.  I've tried having the cygwin\bin directory at both the front and
the end of the path.

After installing cygwin, I found the following details:
1) First time running the shell, threw me to "/usr/bin" when I did a pwd.
2) I tried re-running the base-files-mketc.sh.done script - it failed with
"/bin/uname not found".  Then I tested "/bin/uname" from the command line
and it worked fine.  Then instead of running "sh base-files-mketc.sh.done"
I ran "bash base-files-mketc.sh.done" and it worked fine.

Then I tried to run the rest of the postinstall scripts in the same
fashion, before they would work I had to add /usr/bin and /bin to the
FRONT of the path.  (Otherwise it found the DOS "find" program instead of
the Unix "find" program.

After all of the postinstall scripts worked successfully, I exited the
cygwin shell and started it again.  I then got "/etc/profile permission
denied"

ls -l /etc revealed that all files were owned by the default user and
group that installed it.  Many permissions were as if someone did a
chmod 0 on them.

Does anyone have suggestions?  I suspect it may be the path, but I'm not
sure.

Thanks,
Brian Hayward