Re: Setup 2.358 Hangs During Post-Install Script

Igor wrote:

> The XFree86-bin-icons package is buggy.  It's basically a postinstall
> script that tries to create icons for the X programs that are installed on
> your machine.  The problem is that it tries to create them in the Start
> Menu for "All Users" without checking whether the current user can write
> to it.  I'm not quite sure why it hangs for you, but you can try running
> that script manually via "bash -x" and seeing where it hangs.  If you do
> investigate, please post your findings to the cygwin-xfree list.

I had the same problem, but when I ran the script manually, it worked
without complaint.  I just now tried to upgrade to the latest released
packages, including the upgrade to XFree86-bin-icons 4.3.0-4 from
4.3.0-3.  The *uninstall* process hung.  When I ran the script manually,
it said:

rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Editors
rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Games
rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Information
rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Tools
rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86/Toys
rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86
rmdir: `/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86': Permission denied
rmdir: removing directory, /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86

And then it exited, so I'm guessing it was Setup (version 2.415) itself
that hung.  The bit about permission denied is nonsense, since I am
logged in as Administrator.  What is true is that that directory was not
empty, since many X packages did not need upgrading at that time.
However, I have no idea if that had anything to do with the hang.

This is on a Windows XP Pro box.

HTH.  Regards,
--
Jerry James