cygwin-1.5.4-1 breaks fetchmail on Win9x

cygwin-1.3.22-1 + fetchmail 6.2.2-1:

This was working fine. I then updated to cygwin-1.5.4-1, which seems to break
fetchmail.  Fetchmail complains about not being able to create the lock file,
but I believe the issue is actually with *removing* the stale lock file
(it doesn't happen):

8:05pm [ord@scholars ~] > ls -l .fetchmail.pid
-rw-r--r--    1 ord      all            10 Sep 23 15:38 .fetchmail.pid
8:10pm [ord@scholars ~] > fetchmail -d0
fetchmail: removing stale lockfile
fetchmail: lock creation failed.
8:10pm [ord@scholars ~] > ls -l .fetchmail.pid
-rw-r--r--    1 ord      all            10 Sep 23 15:38 .fetchmail.pid
8:10pm [ord@scholars ~] >

I then updated to cygwin-1.5.5-1, to fix the ^Z problem in 1.5.4-1,
yet the fetchmail problem remained. Also updated to the latest fetchmail
(6.2.4-1), however that behaves the same. (Seems to be an issue with
cygwin-1.5.5-1 vs. cygwin-1.3.22-1).

As far as I can tell, this is a Win9x (Win98SE) issue. Testing fetchmail
on XP with cygwin-1.5.5-1 doesn't seem to suffer from this problem ,
though I don't normally use fetchmail on my XP box, so milage may vary from
my quick test on XP:

1:21pm [ord@chimera ~] 2 0 > ls -l .fetchmail.pid
-rw-------    1 ord      None            8 Sep 27 13:21 .fetchmail.pid
1:22pm [ord@chimera ~] 2 0 > fetchmail -d0
fetchmail: removing stale lockfile
[...fetchmail run output snipped..]

The obvious hack that I am using currently is to delete .fetchmail.pid
in /etc/rc on Win98, which is satisfactory for me, however I thought it
worthwhile reporting the problem.

I've searched the archives, and found no other references to this problem,
which hopefully just means I'm the first to report it and not that I'm missing
anything (apologies if so).

cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out follows.

Mark.

--
Mark Ord                               | I tried my best, tried to forget,
Melbourne, Australia                   | that you're a bad habit, just like a