Re: Setup cant open package database error?

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Tim Gunter wrote:

> Hi-
>
>  While trying to update my installation of cygwin, I received
> a "Can't open package Database for writing: file exists"
> error. When I re-run setup, it downloads, tries to install
> the updates again, and fails the same way.
>
> When I run "cygcheck -c" i get the following:
>
> Cygwin Package Information
> No setup information found
>
>  Is there some easy way to rebuild this information?
>
>  I did have a cygwin shell open when I did the update,
> could this be part of the problem?
>
>  I have also deleted, and moved around some of the tarballs
> and "setup.log" files that past updates have created, surely
> this isn't an issue though(right?).
>
> --tim

If you moved the tarballs, setup won't be able to find them, and will
re-download them.  The log files don't matter, and will be created anew
(the ones that matter sit in /var/log, anyway).

Make sure /etc/setup and /etc/setup/installed.db are writeable by you.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu