Re: SUGGESTION wrt preremove / postinstall / preinstall (RE: [FAQ] Packages reported as "Incomplete" by "cygcheck -c")

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:

> [...]

Most postinstall scripts accomplish exactly that by copying the files
instead of moving them.  I don't see that this is too practical in the
case of apache, as this is a whole deeply nested directory -- I'm guessing
the "mv" is an optimization.

The "right" solution, IMO, would be to somehow mark the affected files as
"movable by postinstall scripts", so that cygcheck doesn't attempt to
locate them.  One way to do this is to designate a directory in the Cygwin
FHS for "scratch files", and have cygcheck not check any files or
directories installed into that tree.

Some solutions specifically for apache (considering that it provides a
default www tree) might be to distribute the tree separately, in a helper
package (kind of like tetex-* do with the texmf tree), or to package the
tree as a .tar file and untar it in the postinstall script (and keep the
tar file around).  The mod_* postinstall scripts should simply keep the
original (unrebased) DLLs around.
	Igor
P.S. I'm not sure I understand the last question.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu