smartmontools ?

I wonder it anyone has any plans to port it. Even the
commercial S.M.A.R.T. suites for Windows aren't that good. I
tried all. It'd be a nice addition, really.

Unfortunately I'm not (yet) a programmer, still know very
little about Cygwin, but got it to compile removing some code
that may be needed but failed (like missing scsi/scsi_ioctl.h).
At least --help worked. I don't know if major changes would be
needed to at least support IDE drives.

Bruce Allen (the author) removed linux/hdreg.h code (in CVS,
not 5.0-18) to make it easier porting to other OS.

BTW, how do I access /dev/hda under Cygwin or Windows ? Are
there any devices for hard drives ?

I tried with my floppy drive and a partition just as a test to
see if it returned anything, and it did.

bash-2.05b$ ./smartctl.exe -a /dev/fd0
smartctl version 5.19 Copyright (C) 2002-3 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Error ATA GET HD Identity Failed: Invalid argument
Smartctl: Hard Drive Read Identity Failed

A mandatory SMART command has failed: exiting. To continue, use
the -T option to set the tolerance level to 'permissive'

bash-2.05b$ ./smartctl.exe /c
smartctl version 5.19 Copyright (C) 2002-3 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Error ATA GET HD Identity Failed: Invalid argument
Smartctl: Hard Drive Read Identity Failed

A mandatory SMART command has failed: exiting. To continue, use
the -T option to set the tolerance level to 'permissive'

bash-2.05b$ ./smartctl.exe /a
smartctl version 5.19 Copyright (C) 2002-3 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Smartctl open device: /a failed: no medium

--
How to contact me - http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html