Re: ssh login with [rd]sa key, permissions on keyfile problems

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Fermin Sanchez wrote:

> Hello list
>
> I thought it might be nice to log on using an rsa or dsa key. So I
> created both an rsa and a dsa key using ssh-user-config. The keys were
> created in ~/.ssh, and the required changes made to authized_keys.
>
> Logging in to the server using
>
> ssh -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa -l fermin -v localhost
>
> gives me all kind of output, the essential being:
>
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @         WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE!          @
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> Permissions 0644 for '//dcp1/users/fermin/.ssh/id_rsa' are too open.
> It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by
> others.
> This private key will be ignored.
> bad permissions: ignore key: //dcp1/users/fermin/.ssh/id_rsa
> Enter passphrase for key '//dcp1/users/fermin/.ssh/id_rsa':
>

> After entering the passphrase for my key, there is more:
>
> debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
> debug1: Authentications that can continue:
> publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
> debug1: Next authentication method: password
> fermin@localhost's password:
>
> It falls back to 'normal' password authentication, which also works, of
> course. But it's not what I had in mind. So I went into ~/.ssh, listed
> the contents:
>
> $ ls -l
> total 6
> -rw-r--r--    1 fermin   Domain U      822 Sep 20 15:23 authorized_keys
> -rw-r--r--    1 fermin   Domain U      668 Sep 20 15:48 id_dsa
> -rw-r--r--    1 fermin   Domain U      601 Sep 20 15:23 id_dsa.pub
> -rw-r--r--    1 fermin   Domain U      883 Sep 20 15:48 id_rsa
> -rw-r--r--    1 fermin   Domain U      221 Sep 20 15:23 id_rsa.pub
> -rw-r--r--    1 fermin   Domain U      220 Sep 20 15:23 known_hosts
>

> $ chmod -v 600 id_*sa
> mode of `id_dsa' changed to 0600 (rw-------)
> mode of `id_rsa' changed to 0600 (rw-------)
>

> Unfortunately, the files are not impressed by my actions, and the '-v'
> parameter does only show what would have happened in a normal world.
> Which my system doesn't seem to be. "chmod -c 600 id_*sa" works
> correctly, though, not showing any changes having happened.
>
> At this point I figured it must have something to do with NTFS
> permissions (being MCSE and all that) and tried to change the
> permissions of the id files in Windows (and ownership, while I was at
> it). I also mad sure that "StrictModes no" is active in sshd_config,
> which it is.
>
> >From the windows point of view, everything should be fine, but I think
> there's a difference in file rights between *unix systems and Windows:
> In Windows, the actual file permission overrides the directory
> permission, meaning that you could have access (read/write/whatever) to
> a file while not being able to access the directory where the file is.
> Don't ask me why or say "that's insane" - it's just the way it is, I
> [...]

Is your home directory on an SMB share?  If so, you may need to add
"smbntsec" to your CYGWIN environment variable.

Also, can you please post the output of "getfacl ~/.ssh" and "getfacl
~/.ssh/id_rsa"?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/