Cygwin on external drive?

Servus to all,
I moved a complete perfectly working Cygwin-configuration with Apache and SSL from C:\cygwin to F.\cygwin an external 40GB disk drive (connected via USB) and tried to get it running, but it will not work. I must say that I have expected problems. Should this be possible after a straight installation on an external drive from the beginning?
I think I found a hint in some faq that installation on C:\cygwin is not mandatory.
Thanks in advance :-)
with greetings from germany

Peter Zeilhofer
EP LP COM 5