RE: cygwin1.dll - debug version (RE: similar crash in mmap for 1.5.3-1)

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of Christopher Faylor

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:27:10PM +0200, Hannu E K Nevalainen
> (garbage mail) wrote:
> >> Also, the problems.html page is surely the wrong place for a tutorial
> >> for how to debug the cygwin DLL.  A hyperlink to a page which talked
> >> about this, with a caveat about this being only for the technically
> >> savvy, would be fine.  But I'm not going to write it.  Volunteers?
> >
> > Well, there needn't be a _tutorial_ on debugging. Maybe just a link to a
> >good starting point for understanding gdb/ddd/insight and their
> usage - for
> >beginners [1].
> > Non-beginners often need just a few words... these words should be added
> >though - time permitting, as always.
>
> I think you are missing my point.  I do not want a problems page to be
> littered with a "and here's how you debug cygwin" or here's where to
> find debuggers.  That would be daunting to people who are already
> daunted by the amount of info on that page.  A hyperlink with something
> like:
>
> - Consider <a href="debugcygwin.html">debugging cygwin</a> yourself or
>   possibly <a href="debugcygwin.html#backtrace">providing a back trace</a>
>   of a failing application.

 This seems be about what I had in mind, a bit depending on what
"debugcygwin.html" would contain.

> I have a fundamental problem with adding tutorials on debugging here.
> Go to the gdb page if you want to learn how to debug something.  A
> (very) few pointers on how to debug with a DLL are fine, since they
> would be cygwin-specific.  But info on setting breakpoints, etc., really
> should come from the experts.

 As I said above; _no_ tutorials, but pointers to good _starting points_ for
"beginners" - i.e. one or more ways to find out more on the matter.

> I'm also *extremely* dubious that we'd get useful information from someone
> who has never heard of a debugger or even someone who hasn't heard about
> gdb.

 This depends on what you evaluate the word "beginner" to...
 1) a beginner with debugging all together; then you're fully correct above
 2) a beginner with cygwin; the above might not be so "correct" anymore
 3) (more?)

 I put myself would fit in category 2) of two reasons; I have not used gdb
or its siblings for major stuff, nor tried to debug cygwin stuff. But I DO
have debugging experience.

> Anyway, as usual, we're discussing something that will probably never
> happen.

 ..and you have found this "time consuming" only? ;-)  (I hope not)

>  I'm finished now since I've already used up too much time
> reiterating points.  My next act will be to review any documentation
> provided.

 Fine with me :-)

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59?16.37'N, 17?12.60'E
--END OF MESSAGE--