RE: cygwin1.dll - debug version (RE: similar crash in mmap for 1.5.3-1)

<SNIP>
Hannu:

CGF:
> >>That sort of presupposes that someone is interested in walking people
> >>through the debugging of the cygwin DLL.  I know I'm not interested and
> >>I haven't seen anyone else step in when people start asking debugging
> >>questions.
> >>
> >>I guess the words in problems.html could be extended with a "You're
> >>basically on your own"...

 Indeed... with some more words that points to useful information... or?

> >>This is not a bad idea, especially since I thought of it myself long
> >>ago :-), like I said, it just requires some time which I don't have
> >>right now.

 :-) ...have I heard those words before? Have I spoken in the same manner
myself? ;-)

> >FWIW, I think Hannu has a point in that if debugging information were
> >available, it would be much easier for people to step in and outline
> >the necessary actions to provide a good stack trace than it would be to
> >show them how to build a debug version of the DLL from scratch.  Just
> >my 2c.
>
> "This is not a bad idea...it just requires some time which I don't have
> right now."
>
> I haven't, so far, seen anyone chime in usefully on this issue when
> people have provided stack traces.  There are other issues which would
> crop up even if debugging info were available like the fact that traces
> are unreliable where they include functions without stack frame info.
>
> Also, the problems.html page is surely the wrong place for a tutorial
> for how to debug the cygwin DLL.  A hyperlink to a page which talked
> about this, with a caveat about this being only for the technically
> savvy, would be fine.  But I'm not going to write it.  Volunteers?

 Well, there needn't be a _tutorial_ on debugging. Maybe just a link to a
good starting point for understanding gdb/ddd/insight and their usage - for
beginners [1].
 Non-beginners often need just a few words... these words should be added
though - time permitting, as always.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59?16.37'N, 17?12.60'E

--
[1]
 I've been investigating AmigaOS executables _thoroughly_ and thus know that

--END OF MESSAGE--