Re: OT? Legacy code and constants / good and portable coding (RE:Compiling Wine in Cygwin)

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen wrote:

> Ughhh... I wonder who it was that wrote:

It was me.

>> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>>
>>> HUGE is a SVID-specific value that is equal to MAXFLOAT on my RedHat
>>> 7.3 box.  That is *not* the same as HUGE_VAL, BTW, so I'd use MAXFLOAT
>>> instead.
>>>

>> MAXFLOAT is outdated.  I would suggest FLT_MAX in float.h.
>
> As there seems to some confusion regarding this: Thus I wonder;
>
> Is there ANY good reading on what is legacy/outdated - and what isn't!?

Not that I am really aware of.  I just went through a porting effort from
Sun Solaris to Cygwin and then to Linux.  I found the above from the Linux
port while looking for a common denominator.

On my Redhat 9 box, MAXFLOAT is found in values.h that contains this
comment:

Old compatibility names for <limits.h> and <float.h> constants.
This interface is obsolete.  New programs should use <limits.h> and/or
<float.h> instead of <values.h>.

float.h, on the other hand, is provided by gcc and contains IEEE
floating point standard definitions as stated by "info libc" on the same
box.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer