Re: SMTP AUTH with exim

"Koch, Peter" wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've got exim working with cygwin correctly so far, even with SMTP AUTH.

<snip>

> Here goes my question: How would these authenticators have to look if I
> wanted to use the Windows User database for authentication instead?

One way I can think of would be to write a 5 line program that
takes in as arguments the user name and password, calls the function
cygwin_logon_user documented in the Cygwin users' guide and exits
with success/error.
That program can then be called from exim with the "run" string expansion
documented in section 11.4 of the exim documentation.
That shouldn't be hard at all, but wouldn't be very efficient.

A slightly more ambitious project along the same lines is to write a daemon
program that listens on a (local, for security) socket for user + password,
calls cygwin_logon_user, immediately closes the handle, and writes an answer
to the socket.
That daemon can be accessed from exim with "readsocket", also in section 11.4

Pierre