Installation problems

I am running Windows XP with 512MB.  I downloaded from the VA mirror and all
seemed to go well no problems.  I downloaded setup.exe and it took over and
installed the rest from the internet.  When completed I clicked on the
Desktop Icon and got the following:
/bin/find: /etc/profile.d: No such file or directory.
Hoyt@blackgold ~
Futher checking showed that /etc/profile does exist and is readable at least
with cat.(/etc/profile.d does not exist).  Other problems discovered ls only
works if you give it a directory ls (dosent) ls /etc (works).  Passwd works
but it changes my login password to Windows. There is no root user and
mkuser doesnt work.  Commands less, more, dir were not recognized.  I dont
think I am in cygwin but I have no idea where I am.
Regards;
hoyt13@wiredok.com