Cygwin OpenGL version

I have just started using Cygwin and learning OpenGL and am a bit confused
about the installed version of OpenGL. During Cygwin setup it looks like the
OpenGL version is 1.1.0-6. However I am successfully compiling tutorial
programs which contain GL commands from later versions of OpenGL. I am
guessing that this may be because Cygwin is linking to the Windows XP
installed version of OpenGL.  Is this the case?

Many thanks if you can help
Best wishes
Jon Brooks