Re: [Fwd: Re: perl test fails]

Hooray, we're there! Thank you!

The -x operator works perfectly, but the problem was still rather obscure, so here's the answer.

Cygwin 1.3.22-1 under NT4, Perl 5.8.0

My script was almost identical to the one Elfyn supplied below, it just tested a local file rather than /usr/bin/perl.

#!/bin/perl

if ( -x "script" )
{
  print "script is executable\n";
}
else
{
  system("./script");
}

This local file was a one-liner containing only

echo "I damn well am!"

I had chmod +x this file and when I ran either it or my perl script at the command prompt I got the output "I damn well am!", indicating that the -x operator considered the file to be not executable, but the file itself could, actually, be executed.

But Elfyn's script worked, and mine didn't, so I started poking around.

To my surprise I found that the local file had 644 permissions, not 744 as I'd expected. I chmod +x it again, but the permissions didn't change, though I could still run it and get the echoed output. I tried chmod 777, still with no effect. Only when I added a first line #!/bin/bash would chmod +x work, after which my perl script worked just like Elfyn's

So there seems to be a couple of weensy buggettes there, though I'm not suggesting anyone bother to fix them unless they happen to be working there anyway. They're not serious bugs, but they did obscure the real problem and waste quite a lot of my and several other people's time.

1. chmod should surely change the permissions whatever the contents of the file, and if it doesn't, it should issue a message. Silent failure is not very friendly.

2. a file without execute permission shouldn't execute.

Anyhow, thanks for all the responses.
Rob

Elfyn McBratney wrote:
Rob Clack wrote:

Well I thought maybe I'd better just try setting $CYGWIN, even though it didn't seem relevant (I don't have "..problems with NT shares or Samba drives..", since the script reliably breaks when run from a local, non-shared drive) and indeed, it made no difference. Unless there's some special way I should be setting it. I just entered CYGWIN=nosmbntsec at the dollar prompt.

OK, so if I assume by the silence that -x is broken, can anyone suggest how I can determine in a perl script whether or not a file is executable?

The `-x' operator WFM.  Does, say, this script fail for you (make sure perl
is *actually* executable) ?

#!/usr/bin/perl

  if (-x "/usr/bin/perl") {
    print "yupp, perl is executable.\n";
  } else {
    print "ut-oh! perl isn't executable.\n";
  }

If you haven't already posted cygcheck[1] output, that might help, and also
post your script (I couldn't find it in my archives).  Sorry if you've
already done this.

-- Elfyn

[1] non-inline, plain-text attachment, as per <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

------------- hyphens to separate this from previous posts -------------

Thank you Igor.  However, I've now read the entry on smbntsec and it
doesn't seem relevant.  (Was a useful exercise in itself, since I didn't
know about the CYGWIN env var either ;)) I don't have a problem on the
Linux box, only on the NT one. And it doesn't matter whether I'm running
the script from the networked drive or from the local hard drive, I only
get the error under Cygwin.

So far it keeps looking to me as though Cygwin is broken.