Re: finding out how much memory is available with malloc, gcc, cygwin

Jim Holder schrieb:
A program similar to the one listed below works for me on Linux but not under
Cygwin.  The idea is to find out how memory I can allocate on the machine.  The
Cygwin version keeps going (past 700MB), reporting that it has allocated more
memory than the machine has.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks.

Windows uses Virtual Memory, same as linux. That's the physical ram, plus the swap space. (various swapfiles per drive. on linux it's a seperate partition)

So there's no error on your side.
You can allocate that much memory on Windows, but it's probably
quite slow to use it past the physical RAM. On both systems.
Typical factor 1000 times slower.
--
Reini Urban