Re: cron and network drives

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

I have a situation here. Now I know that cron can have problems with network drives. As I understand it cron runs as SYSTEM and switches users to the user whose crontab is being "run". As such it's a passwordless "login" and I am told that with passwordless logins Windows security restricts access to things like network mapped drives.

This can be shown by the following cronjob:

00 12 * * * net use > /tmp/netuse

Which results in:

New connections will be remembered.

Status Local Remote Network

            M:        \\view                    ClearCase Dynamic Views
Unavailable  T:        \\sons-cc\Tools           Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.

Note the Unavailable for the T drive. This was produced on a system with Cygwin 1.3.22 installed, cron 3.0.1-10.

However, and this is the part that gets me, on another system running Cygwin 1.3.20, cron 3.0.1-7 the same cronjob produces:

New connections will be remembered.

Status Local Remote Network

            M:        \\view                    ClearCase Dynamic Views
OK           T:        \\sons-clearcase\Tools    Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.

Note the OK for the T drive. I need to have access to the T drive. Why can I access it through cron on one system and not the other?

Hard to say exactly with the information given.  My WAG is that the
user from whom you're running the cron job for is logged in and
authenticated by Windows on the second machine when cron runs but not
on the first machine.  This is assuming the share is not public, which
would mean you have a completely different (network) problem on the
first machine.

Holliston, MA 01746