Re: Win2k and cygwin memory leak

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 05:44:08PM -0400, Rolf Campbell wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>As described, the memory leak is obviously not in cygwin.  It is in
>>windows.  I was adding some clarification to the issue by changing a
>>"may be" to a "definitely is".
>>
>>I think that this kind of clarification is more useful than your
>>message, which essentially says "If we could figure out what was causing
>>the problem then maybe it could be fixed".  Personally, I don't see how
>>that observation is useful.
>>
>>Having had some experience with this, I find it highly doubtful that any
>>useful data will come from people posting their "me too" experiences.
>>If someone wants to fix this then researching the Microsoft Knowledge
>>Base might be a place to start.  A google search might also be helpful.
>
>Could it be *possible* that cygwin leaves some memory allocated?  Does
>windows claim to free all memory allocated by a process when it exits?

Even Windows 95 should be enough of an operating system that it should
free memory on exit.  If that was not the case, I could easily write a
program that would bring the system to its knees.  Of course that is
easy to do with Windows 9x in any event but I haven't heard about this
particular problem there.

>What about cygwin shared memory?

I suppose it is possible that cygwin could be allocating shared memory.
That would disappear when the last process which had a pointer to it
went away.  I haven't heard that it has been the case that memory
reappears when all cygwin processes disappear.

cgf