Re: Yes but I don't understand ...

David,

At 13:14 2003-08-05, David Selby wrote:

You are dead right, I tried

/bin/bash <script>

and it worked perfectly, but I am afraid I do not understand why ...
echo $BASH_VERSION
Tells me I have bash

I call cygwin with ...
c:\cygwin\win\rxvt.exe -e \bin\bash --login -i
ie bash

Where did ash (a stripped down bash?) come in ?

As I understand it, it all goes back to the big bang...

I don't understand the question. Cygwin has for a long time used ash as it's /bin/sh. Ash is a POSIX compliant shell and is much lighter-weight than BASH. For purposes such as interpreting commands issuing from makefiles, it's faster start-up time makes it a better choice.

You script assumed BASH--that is, it used BASH-specific features. Thus it should explicitly invoke bash in its #! line. The fact that most Linuxes use BASH as their /bin/sh probably falsely led you to believe that BASH was _the_ shell in POSIX-compliant systems. That's not true. In fact, for a long time, even /bin/bash was a version 1.2 BASH, and that was a far cry from what we now know as BASH.

Dave

Randall Schulz