RE: Install 1.3.22-1 problem - default text file type - DOS

Greetings Igor,

Thanks.  I have now replaced \n with \r\n every place I used \n in a
character string.  I have made sure not to switch the single character
when used separately from a string.  Everything appears to work fine
now.

Francis R. Harvey III
WB303, x3952
harveyf1@westat.com

VB programmers know the wisdom of Nothing

<snip>

> I think you misunderstood what the "text" (or DOS) mode
> means.  Mounting
> in the "text" mode allows the files *on disk* to have the
> "\r\n" newline
> sequence which will be translated to "\n" upon reading the
> file in default
> mode (i.e., make the default mode "text"), and the reverse translation
> would happen on writing.  Mounting in binary mode does not perform any
> character translation for default open()s, so you'll actually
> see the "\r"
> characters in your program.  Of course, you can always override this
> setting with "rt" for text and "rb" for binary...
>
> What your program is doing is something completely different.  The C
> language specification says that the '\n' character
> represents the ASCII
> value of NL, or 10.  The '\r' character represents the ASCII
> value of CR,
> or 13.  This won't ever be changed by the mount mode (or the "binmode"
> setting in the CYGWIN variable).  The mount mode only affects
> interaction
> with disk files (just like "binmode" affects interaction with pipes).
> 	Igor
<snip>