vim speed issue

Hello,

OK newbe cygwin user here, have read manual + faq ... so not just lept in with a question !

I have a 700MHz PIII 256MB, I have installed cygwin on 98SE.
When running it can seem a little slow, ie "man man" takes 2-3 seconds, vim screen ripples as I scroll up.

In the FAQ it states that upgrades can have speed problems, This is a new install.

Is it a case of cygwin is just another process as far as 98SE is concerned & so only gets a slice of CPU time ? In which case AOK, no probs I can live with it. Or is there something I need to tweak ?

Thanks in advance
Dave